First of all, I'd like to thank Robin from Southern Cali for leaving such a nice comment on yesterday's tomato post. And second of all, I'd like to apologize because it won't publish! I tried three times and it said it was published, but I don't see it anywhere. Very strange, I can't figure out what's amiss. I kept backing up and trying again, but I'd reached the definition of insanity..doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Please try again Robin, it must be a fluke!


As for today in the garden, I checked on my babies in the greenhouse and that's probably going to be it for the day. We're having family over for our eldest daughter's 5th birthday party, so at most I'm hoping to get a few trays of seeds planted. It's time to start some herbs like dill and parsley, and I need to resow my cilantro because the first flat got burnt to a crisp when the hubby put it in the greenhouse one bright, sunny morning with the clear plastic lid still on. It was a thoughtful gesture, too bad I didn't see it before the double greenhouse effect fried them like ants on a sidewalk.


Speaking of frying, the roosters are sorely trying my nerves today. There's a red-tailed hawk hanging around, and Ben and Jack seem to feel compelled to stand in the middle of the yard thumping their chests and crowing defiance. I wouldn't care if I didn't have neighbors, but we're friends with all of them and I don't want that to change! I know I wouldn't be too thrilled if one of my neighbors had something making that much noise. I think I'll see if my grandparents would like to take Ben home with them today and I'll bribe the neighbors with some fresh eggs. :-)


Looking around the yard it's really noticeable that we had an abnormally cold winter. Generally, the weeping cherry in the backyard is almost done flowering by now, and it's only just begun.


The peach tree should also be in full flower, but the buds are only now beginning to color up. That may be a good thing, in case we get a late frost!


I had an idea the other day for a new garden bed. (Big surprise, right?) There's a triangular wedge of yard between the path to the kitchen garden, the fence, and the neighbor's property line. It's not very big, but I could fit quite a few herbs in there and save the hubby the trouble of bringing the mower around to that side just to mow that little patch. And I'm ALL about saving the hubby trouble...

You can tell where the neighbor's fence begins because it's stained a slightly different color. The bed would be about 6 feet wide at the fence, and taper up about 10 feet to meet the side of the flagstone path. It gets full sun all summer, and I can see it being a gorgeous herb bed. Mrs. Einck's dill in the back, some purple basil, Citronella lemon balm, German chamomile, and a border of salad burnett. *sigh* It makes me happy already. It looks like I'll have to wait till Tuesday to start, as we're getting some light rain today and tomorrow. In the meantime I'll get busy with the seeds in the greenhouse. Happy gardening!